Liz Coats is an abstract painter who has been exhibiting paintings in solo shows since the mid-1970s. She works in series that explore enduring questions about colour perception and spatial relations.
Liz recognizes painting as a sensory medium as well as an intellectual enquiry. More than just painted surfaces, she is concerned with the expressive potential of paint materials to communicate generative principles, mediating perception between the physical nature of painting and virtual spaces.
October 2017 saw the Drill Hall University curate a long overdue retrospective exhibition of Liz Coats works, covering more than 30 years of art practice. An outstanding monograph was produced with Toby Oates which can be purcahsed through the University.
- Vice-Chancellor’s College Artist Fellows, Foyer Gallery, ANU School of Art, Canberra Cornucopia, Utopia Art Sydney
- Ground Truthing – Artists and Archaeology, curator: Ursula Frederick, Foyer Gallery, ANU School of Art, Canberra Abstraction #14, Charles Nodrum Gallery, Melbourne
- Common Ground: recent work by ANCA Studio Artists, ANCA Gallery, Canberra
- Abstracting the Collection, curator: Gemma Weston, Cruthers Collection of Women’s Art, Lawrence Wilson Art Gallery, Univ. Western Australia, Perth
- Now and When: contemplating climates on the South East Coast, Sapphire Coast Marine Discovery Centre, Eden, NSW
- No Boundaries, Bayside Arts & Cultural Centre, Brighton, Melbourne
- Word of Mouth, curator: Mark Bayley, Canberra Museum & Art Gallery
- Abstraction #11, Charles Nodrum Gallery, Melbourne Paperworks, Utopia Art Sydney
- Far Enough : Aesthetic Responses to the Far South Coast, Bega Valley Regional Gallery, NSW
- Mallee [Maeli] : Art from Arid Places, School of Art Gallery, ANU, Canberra
- Single State – A unique take on the land, Megalo Print Studio Gallery, Canberra
- This Way Up, three exhibitions on abstraction, curators: Ruth Waller & Peter Maloney, School of Art Gallery ANU, M16 & ANCA Galleries, Canberra, with illustrated catalogue.
- Engaging Visions : Your place in one art, Curator John Reid, ANU School of Art Gallery, with illustrated catalogue. Museum III, Utopia Art Sydney
- Pinned and Framed – works on paper, Utopia Art Sydney
- Engaging Visions: A Benalla Field Study, Benalla Art Gallery, Vic.
- Abstraction 8, Charles Nodrum Gallery, Melbourne.
- Korean International Art Fair, CO-EX, Korea.
- Foresight: Work from the University of Sydney Union Art Collection, curator: Connie Tornatorie-Loong, Sydney University Art Gallery.
- Paperwork: works on paper from the Bundanon Artist in Residence collection, Shoalhaven City Art Centre, Nowra.
- Shaping Perspectives: Sydney College of the Arts Alumni, current postgraduate students and staff of the Glass Studio, curator: Lee Mathers, Horus & Deloris Contemporary Art Space, Sydney.
- Fragile Absolute, Delmar Art Gallery, Curator: Brad Buckley, Sydney.
- Australian Abstraction, Utopia Art Sydney.
- Three Abstract Painters: Liz Coats, Helen Eager, Peter Maloney, Utopia Art Sydney
- Norsewood Contemporary Art Award exhibition, Hastings, NZ.
- Space Between Words, Brown’s Cows Art Projects, Gosford, NSW
- Bits and Pieces, Utopia Art Sydney
- Wanganui Exposed, Percy Thomson Gallery, Stratford, NZ.
- Mosman Art Prize exhibition, Sydney
- Melbourne Art Fair, Utopia Art Sydney Gallery, Melbourne.
- So you Wanna be a Rock’n’Roll Star: Australian Painting from the NGV Shell Collection, toured by the National Gallery of Victoria to Wangaratta Exhibitions Gallery; McClelland Gallery + Sculpture Park & Hamilton Art Gallery.
- The Year in Art, S.H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney
- Dawn Light, Gosford Regional Art Gallery, Gosford, NSW, in association with Dawn Light Symposium.
- Blue, Glasmuseet, Ebeltoft, Denmark
- Paddington Art Prize exhibition, Marlene Antico Fine Arts, Sydney.
- From Big Things, Little things Grow, Utopia Art Sydney, NSW
- Hazelhurst Art Award exhibition, Hazelhurst Regional Gallery, NSW.
- Abstraction 4, Charles Nodrum Gallery, Melbourne.
- Norsewear Art Award exhibition, Hawkes Bay Exhibition Centre, Hastings
- House of Dowse, Dowse Art Museum, Lower Hutt, NZ
- Museum II, Utopia Art Sydney
- Southern Exposure: A Survey of New Zealand Glass, curators: Grace Cochrane & Angela Lassig. Sarjeant Gallery, Wanganui, Objectspace, Auckland, NZ and Glasmuseet, Ebeltoft, Denmark.
- Abstracting the Collection, curators: Zara Stanhope & Kendrah Morgan, Heide Museum of Modern Art, Melbourne.
- Recent Acquisitions, Christchurch City Art Gallery, Christchurch
- Wanganui Arts Review, Sarjeant Gallery, Wanganui. Merit Award
- Melbourne Art Fair 2004, Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne
- Art and the Horizon of Meaning, curator: Rod Pattenden, Macquarie University, Sydney.
- Hidden Treasures, Campbelltown City Art Gallery, NSW
- The Wonder of Water, Unesco year of water. Curator: Teresa Gooden, Community Arts Centre, Wanganui.
- Mosman Prize exhibition, Mosman Art Gallery, Sydney.
- Winner of Redlands Westpac Art Prize, Exhibition curator: Felicity Fenner, Mosman Art Gallery, Sydney.
- Good Vibrations: The Legacy of Op Art in Australia, curator: Zara Stanhope, Heide Museum of Modern Art, Melbourne.
- Wallace Art Awards, Auckland War Memorial Museum & Massey University, Wellington Campus, NZ. (Special Jury Award).
- Liz Coats & Eva Heimer, curator: Nick Vickers, Sir Herman Black Gallery, University of Sydney Union.
- A Silver Lining & a New Beginning, Ivan Dougherty Gallery, College of Fine Arts, Sydney.
- The Year in Review, Utopia Art Sydney
- Melbourne Art Fair 2002, Royal Exhibition Buildings, Melbourne
- Liz Coats & Eva Heimer, curator: Nick Vickers, Equrna Gallery, Ljubljana, Slovenia.
- The Numbers Game: Art and Mathematics, curator: Zara Stanhope, Adam Art Gallery, Victoria University, Wellington.
- Meeting Lines: Margaret Roberts and Liz Coats, Otago Polytechnic Art School, Dunedin.
- Silver, Curator: Nick Waterlow, Ivan Dougherty Gallery, Sydney.
- Primary Colours: Red, Annandale Galleries, Sydney.
- Optics, Curator: Nick Vickers, Sir Herman Black Gallery, University of Sydney Union.
- Australian Watercolour Institute, Contemporary Invitational '98, curator: Jo Holder, S.H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney.
- After the Masters 1993-7, selected work. Curators: Jennifer Hardy & Nick Waterlow, Ivan Dougherty Gallery, Sydney.
- Co-Existence - Australian Artists Against Racism, Hogarth Galleries, Sydney.
- Primary Colours: Blue, Annandale Galleries, Sydney.
- Art-Inter-Change, Exhibition in conjunction with 2nd IAAH Pacfic Rim Conference on Adolescent Health, Bondi Pavilion Gallery, Sydney.
- AAAR! WIK Jigsaw, Conference for Reconciliation, Melbourne,
18-26 May. AAAR! Message Sticks, Field of Dreams, S.H. Ervin Gallery, Sydney.
- Drawing on the Diaphanous (glass artists in association with Ausglass Conference) Michael Nagy Gallery, Sydney.
- Skirting Abstraction: Twelve Women Abstract Painters, Curator: John Hurrell, Govett-Brewster Art Gallery, New Plymouth, NZ.
- Unavailable Space, Curator: Suzanne Bartos, Performance Space, Sydney.
- Mosman Art Prize exhibition, Sydney.
- Australian Contemporary Painting, Annandale Galleries.
- Minima:Maxima, Liz Coats, Jim Croke, Jon Plapp. Curator:Nick Vickers, Sir Herman Black Gallery, Sydney University Union.
- Bathurst Art Purchase exhibition, Bathurst Regional Gallery.
- D.O.T.S. – Door Open Table Set (a Synapse event), The Performance Space Gallery.
- Horst Kiechle, Margaret Roberts & Liz Coats, Parliament House Gallery, Sydney.
- Traces: Aberdeen to – from Sydney, curator: Adrian Hall
- Three artists: Liz Coats, Esther Morgan Leigh, Geoff Thornley, Brooker Gallery, Wellington, NZ.
- Circle, Line, Square: Aspects of Geometry, curator: Sioux Garside, Campbelltown City Art
- Gallery. (Touring: Newcastle, Albury, New England Regional Art Galleries).
- Contemporary Australian Paintings: Works from the Allen,Allen & Hemsley Collection, curator: Ewen McDonald. Melbourne International Festival, Victorian Arts Centre.
- Town & Gown, Victoria University Collection, Wellington, NZ.
- Works on paper, Sherman Galleries, Sydney, and Solander Galleries, Canberra.
- Thought Painting, Curator: Scott Redford, Michael Milburn Gallery, Brisbane.
- The New Metaphysic, curator: Felicity Fenner, Ivan Dougherty Gallery, Sydney.
- Frames of Reference: Aspects of Feminist Art, curator: Sally Couacaud, Artspace @ Pier 4/5, Sydney, in association with Dissonance forum).
- Abstract Paintings, Brooker Gallery, Wellington, NZ.
- Abstraction, Curator: Victoria Lynn, Art Gallery of NSW.
- Tokyo Connection: Twelve Australian Artists, Heineken Village Exhibition Centre, Tokyo.
- The Radiant Core – Liz Coats, Leah McKinnon, Lee Friedlander
- Works on Paper, Brooker Gallery, Wellington, NZ.
- Modern Australian Paintings, Charles Nodrum Gallery, Melbourne.
- Australian Watercolours, Drawings, Prints, 1935-1989, Charles Nodrum Gallery
- Maiden Voyage, First Draft Gallery, Sydney.
- Structures of Necessity, First Draft Gallery, Sydney.
- Surface for Reflexion, curator: Tony Bond, Art Gallery of NSW, Sydney.
- The Subject of Painting, curator: Paul McGillick, Art Gallery of NSW, Sydney.
- In Visible Pursuit, curator: Merilyn Fairskye, Artspace, Sydney.
- Acquisitions, Newcastle Regional Art Gallery.
- Powell Street Gallery, Melbourne.
- Perspecta, curator: Bernice Murphy, Art Gallery of NSW, Sydney.
- Artspace Special Event, Curator: Judy Annear, Artspace, Sydney.
- From the Inside Out, Women & Arts Festival, Sydney.
- Ten Years After, Ewing & George Paton Galleries, Melbourne University Union Group show, Coventry Gallery, Sydney.
- Women’s Art at Work: A mobile exhibition of women’s art on tour, Victoria.
- Capital Permanent Invitation Exhibition, Geelong Art Gallery.
- Women’s Electoral Lobby Exhibition, Niagara Gallery, Melbourne.
- The Map Show, Ewing & George Paton Galleries, Melbourne Univ. Union.
- Wagga Wagga Annual Invitation Exhibition, Wagga Wagga.
-The Women’s Show, Experimental Art Foundation, Adelaide.
- Self Images, La Trobe University, Melbourne.
- International Women Artists’ Slide Exhibition, The Ford Foundation, New York.
- Twenty Women Artists, Auckland Society of Arts Galleries, Auckland, NZ.