I began my work experience as a Cordon Bleu Chef in Durban at The Oyster Box Hotel in 1990. I left the hotel industry in 1991 to take up a position as a cookery editor for Your Family, one of South Africa's leading cookery magazines. My portfolio included recipe development and food styling. In 1996 I left the magazine and opened my own cookery school for the previously disadvantaged communities in Durban.
Throughout my life, I have enjoyed painting as a hobby. I have been painting since the age of seven with no formal training. During my years in the cooking industry, I exhibited at local art shows and small private exhibitions, such as Art in the Park, held annually in Pietermaritzburg. It was at these small exhibitions that I started receiving recognition and praise for my work and so decided to pursue art as my career and as the main focal point in my life.
“Art is what I do. Every painting is a mood, a reflection of what is happening in my mind. Some days are quiet - some days are abstract.
But every day is a painting, a whole new way of looking at my world.
Inspirations are found in my travels. I absorb the moments and transfer the feelings to my canvas, bright and bold. Every stroke moulds my signature, in so doing, creating another piece of Natasha Barnes.
This is my art…"
- Abu Dhabi Autumn Fair
- Birmingham Spring Fair
- Birmingham Autumn Fair
- New York Artexpo
- Atlanta Décor Show
- 6th Sense Show, London
- Dubai Spring Fair
- Decorex, South Africa
- Art in the Park, South Africa
- Affordable Art Show, London
- Ideal Home Show, London
- Battersea Fine Art Fare
- Will's Art Warehouse
- Apples & Pears Gallery, UK
- Little Lourve Art Gallery, SA
- Rubens Gallery, Leeds, UK
- Décor and Decaf Gallery, SA
- Pictures Plus, Maui, Hawaii
- Outrigger Hotel, Maui, Hawaii
My work can be found in corporate and private collections throughout the world and has been exhibited extensively in the UK, America and the Middle East. Exploring new ideas and experimenting with creative thought ensures that my paintings grow with my passion to enjoy a long and fruitful career. My work is currently published worldwide in open and limited editions by the International print publishers.
- One of South Africa's most published artists
- Greeting cards for Hallmark, Marks & Spencer's Division
- Work displayed on the sets of two South African television productions
- Feature about life and art for a lifestyle television show on MNet
- Lifestyle features in art magazines worldwide